The Mall Clarence House Logo

The Mall and Clarence House Royal London Walk - self-guided sightseeing walking tour

third attraction visitThe Mall and Clarence House

The Mall is London’s primary ceremonial road. Starting at Trafalgar Square it leads though Admiralty Arch into St James's Park, passes St James's Palace, Clarence House and finishes at Buckingham palace. The 1km road, which is laid out like a giant red carpet, it is used for royal processions and national celebrations.

The Queen on The Mall in the Diamond Jubilee State Coachqueens state coach the mall

The Mall

Originally laid out by Charles II, the Mall became the grand approach to Buckingham Palace when the palace became the official royal residence on accession of Queen Victoria. The Mall we see today was designed in 1911 by Sir Aston Webb who also designed Admiralty Arch, the Queen Victoria Memorial and a new frontage for Buckingham Palace.

Queen's Guard Marching Band in autumn/winter uniform on The Mallqueens guard winter uniform
The Monarch often receive visiting Heads of State by escorting them in horse drawn carriages up the Mall which would be decorated with Union Flags and flags of the visiting head of state's country.

In 2011 over one million people packed the Mall to see the newly wed Prince William and Kate Middleton appear on the palace balcony with other members of the Royal Family.

Admiralty Arch, entrence to The Mallthe malls grand entrance, admiralty arch
At the eastern end of The Mall is Horse Guards Parade, where the Trooping the Colour ceremony is held to mark the official birthday of the British Sovereign. St. James's Park is on the south side with Green Park and St James's Palace, on the north side.

From the Victoria Memorial to Admiralty Arch The Mall is exactly 0.5 nautical miles (0.93 km) long, under which there is a network of tunnels connecting Buckingham Palace to No 10 Downing Street (the Prime Minister's Office) and the Foreign Office.
Clarence House, guarded by soldiers from the Queen's Household Divisionclarence house part of the court of st james's london

Clarence House

Clarence House, part of the St James’s Palace complex, is the official residence of The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall.

Built in 1827 by John Nash it was commissioned by Prince William, Duke of Clarence (King William IV) and has been home to many members of the royal family including; Princess Elizabeth and her husband, The Duke of Edinburgh (now Queen Elizabeth II), the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret. Princess Anne was born there.

Clarence House, along with York House and Lancaster House are within the environs of St. James's Palace and are guarded by soldiers from the Queen’s Household Division when the Monarch are in London.

Visitor Infomation

The Mall is open to the public throughout the year. Clarence House is open to members of the public during August.

Further information:

Clarence House